Finally graduating from the early morning class into the Novice A group, I got a chance to play 20 Questions with Ryder Heacock and learn a little more about the rising star.
1) Name: Ryder Patrick Heacock
2) Bike (Year/Brand/Model): 2007 Suzuki RM85 Supermini
3) Home town: Ponty Pool, Ontario
4) Hero growing up (can be riding or not): David Knight
5) Favourite Rider: David Knight
6) Most satisfying racing moment: 2010 Off Road Ontario Mini SR Championship
7) Least satisfying racing moment: Running out of gas 1km from the finish line when I was in the lead!
8) One thing you could not race without: My dad, he takes care of my bike, gives me pointers and makes sure I am ready to go!
9) When you aren't racing, you are... riding my road bike to help me stay fit.
10) If you didn't race dirt bikes, you would... race road bicycles.
11) How do you balance school and riding? What comes first? It’s not too hard to balance it but mostly riding comes first if I can help it.
12) What song gets you pumped to ride? Sail by Awolnation
13) Do you have any pre-race traditions? I like to focus on myself, my race and stay away from friends so I can stay focused on the race.
14) When you grow up, what do you want to be? A pro off road racer and a firefighter.
15) If you could travel anywhere and ride, where would you go? I would like to try riding in the Ensenada desert in Mexico.
16) What event have you not done but wish to do? The ISDE.
17) Girls or Bikes? Bikes!
18) The best thing about being a racer is... that not only do I get to do something that I love I also get to travel a little and ride at different places.
19) The worst thing about being a racer is... the risk of injury.
20) The best thing to happen to you in 2011? 2011 Off Road Ontario Mini SR Championship.
Ryder would like to thank his mom and dad, off road Pro Dustin Heacock, and his sponsors: Asselstines, Scott Sports, Bell Helmets and Alpinestars.
Ryder (left) is now in the Novice A class, riding with racers such as Clayton Beckett (right).